October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month! Cybersecurity Awareness Month is a global effort to help everyone stay safe and protected when using technology. United Southern Bank is proud to champion this online safety and education initiative this October. All month long, we are promoting key behaviors to encourage our customers to take control of their online habits. There is a long list of ways to stay safe and secure online but practicing these four cybersecurity basics can make a huge difference.
- Use Strong Passwords A strong password should be:
- Long – at least 16 characters long.
- Complex – a variety of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols or create a memorable phrase of 5 to 7 unrelated words to create a “passphrase” password.
- Unique – use a different password for each account.
- Turn on Multifactor Authentication
You need more than just a password to protect your online accounts and enabling multifactor authentication (MFA) makes it significantly less likely to get hacked. MFA provides us with extra security confirming our identities when logging into our accounts, such as entering a code texted to your phone. MFA increases security and can protect your account, even if unauthorized users compromise your passwords.
- Recognize and Report Phishing
Phishing occurs when scammers try to get us to open harmful links in emails or text messages that request our personal information or install malware on our devices. These messages are often designed to impersonate a trusted person or business in an effort to get us to respond.
- Recognize: look for common signs such as urgent or emotionally appealing language, requests for personal or financial information, and incorrect email addresses.
- Resist: If you suspect phishing, resist the urge to click on links or attachments that seem too good to be true.
- Delete: Delete the message so that you do not accidentally click on the link.
- Update Software
Ensuring your software is up to date is the best way to make sure you have the latest security patches and updates on your device. To make updates more convenient, turn on automatic updates in your device’s security settings.